It is very important to test the amount of radon found in your home.
Radon is an odorless invisible gas which comes from decaying rock and soil, and the gas comes up into your home through cracks in the foundation. Radon is found in every home in Rhode Island, but the levels vary from house to house. The EPA says that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer, so it is very important that radon is tested to keep your family safe.
We test radon by placing an electronic monitor in the home for 48 hours. The machine takes a reading every hour, and a desired reading would be 3.9 pycocuries per liter or less, as radon is measured in radiation. Radon is especially harmful to children since their bodies are still developing and is is harder for them to fight off the illnesses associated with radon.